CAD Position Paper on Employment and Employability (statistics-2014-15)
Israelite, N. Ewoldt, C. and Hoffmeister, R.:1992. Bilingual Bicultural Education for Deaf Students: A Review of the Literature on the Effects of Native Sign Language on Majority Language Acquisition, Queens Printer for Ontario, Toronto, Ontario.
Ladd, P. 2003. Understanding Deaf Culture: In Search of Deafhood. Clevedon, UK: Cromwell Press Ltd. P.170
“Ronald L. Mace on NC State University, College of Design”. Design.ncsu.edu. Retrieved 2019-03-01. https://projects.ncsu.edu/design/cud/about_us/usronmace.htm
Small, A. and Cripps, J. 2009. Attitude Planning and Language Planning. In Reference Guide: Barrier Free Education. Toronto, Ontario: Canadian Hearing Society, 23-43.
Small, A. (2000). Advanced Seminar in Bilingual Bicultural Education. Teacher Preparation Programme in the Education of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Students, Faculty of Education York University. In Small, A., Cripps, J. and Côté, J. 2012. Cultural Space and Self / Identity Development Among Deaf Youth Monograph, Toronto, Ontario: Ministry of Education and Knowledge Network for Applied Education Research.
Small, A. and D. Mason, (2008). ASL Bilingual Bicultural Education in J. Cummins and N.
- Hornberger (eds.) Encyclopedia of Language and Education, 2nd Edition, Volume 5:
Bilingual Education, 133-149. Springer Science and Business Media LLC.
Supalla, S. J., Small, A., & Cripps, J. S. (2018). American Sign Language for everyone:
Considerations for Universal Design and deaf youth identity. SASLJ, 2(2).
Statistics Canada, CANSIM table 051-0005 July 1, 2017.
VRS Feasibility Study, Phase 9, p19.
Deaf Organizations and Service Organizations
- Canadian Association of the Deaf (CAD)
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety – Hearing Protectors (CCOHS)
- Canadian Cultural Society of the Deaf (CCSD)
- Canadian Hard of Hearing Association (CHHA)
- Canadian International Hearing Services (CIHS)
- Ontario Association of the Deaf (OAD)
- Ontario Cultural Society of the Deaf (OCSD)
- Speech Language and Audiology Canada (SAC)
Best Practices for Employers Hiring Deaf and Hard of Hearing Employees
- CHS Services for Employers https://www.chs.ca/services/services-employers
- Sense Ability https://senseability.ca/resources/
- Ontario Disability Employment Network Resources for Business https://odenetwork.com/businesses/resources
- Ontario Disability Employment Network Resources for Agencies https://odenetwork.com/service-agencies/tools-resources
- Canadian Council on Rehabilitation and Work Resources for Employer https://www.ccrw.org/i-am-an-employer/
- The Conference Board of Canada Employers’ Toolkit: Making Ontario Workplaces Accessible to People with Disabilities https://acsess.org/sites/default/uploads/files/AODA-Resources/accessibilityempguide_toolkit-Conference-Brd-of-Canada.pdf
- EmployerLine https://www.employerline.ca/employer-advice/aoda/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwl9zdBRDgARIsAL5Nyn05QXbUKCpNFgJhrkr7ebZyKdU-ZSLdei4rDcXdK5M-_LOm-GdLUA8aAo1YEALw_wcB
- Handbook for Accessible Employment: Under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act https://www.communication-access.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/ADO-Accessible-Employment-EN.pdf
- Gallaudet University Career Center https://www.gallaudet.edu/career-center/employers
- National Technical Center for the Deaf on Employment https://www.ntid.rit.edu/nce/employers
- DeafTEC http://deaftec.org/employers
- National Association of the Deaf Employers https://www.nad.org/nerc/employers/
- Canadian Hard of Hearing Association Working with Hearing Loss: A Guide for Employees, Employers and Entrepreneurs http://www.chha.ca/documents/Working_With_Hearing_Loss.pdf
- Partnership Council on Employment Opportunities or People with Disabilities: Initial Report https://www.ontario.ca/page/partnership-council-employment-opportunities-people-disabilities-initial-report
- AODA Employment Standards | Free Helpline for Employers https://www.employerline.ca/employer-advice/aoda/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-9TThvPZ4QIV0__jBx2cpgp7EAAYASAAEgKLafD_BwE
- OHRC Policy on Ableism and Discrimination based on Disability http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/policy-ableism-and-discrimination-based-disability
- OHRC on Employment http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/social_areas/employment
- Canadian Human Rights Commission on Employer Obligations https://www.chrc-ccdp.gc.ca/eng/content/employer-obligations
Organizations and Websites Promoting Diversity
- Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists (ACTRA) provides Practical Tips for Auditioning Deaf Actors and Guide for Auditioning Deaf Actors: Helpful Links.
- Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion (CCDI)
- Deaf Artists and Theatres Toolkit: Engaging Deaf Artists and Audiences in Theatre. 2016. http://www.cahoots.ca/in-cahoots/datt/
- Ontario Museum Association (OMA) 2018. Inclusion 2025: A Practitioners Guide to Inclusive Museums. https://members.museumsontario.ca/inclusion2025
Funding for Workplace Accommodations
- https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/opportunity-fund-disability.html (Opportunities Fund [Federal grants] for persons with disabilities)
- https://www.aoda.ca/funding-for-workplace-accommodations-in-ontario/ (Funding for Workplace Accommodation in Ontario, Dec 2018) There are a list of federal funding, provincial funding and local funding
- https://www.mentorworks.ca/blog/government-funding/hiring-workers-with-disabilities-funding/ (2017)
- http://www.cbo-eco.ca/en/index.cfm/financing/government-loans-and-grants/wage-subsidies-and-tax-credits-for-employers/ (wage subsidies and tax credits for employers)